Options for Well Being


Who do I call in a psychological emergency outside of business hours?

For emergencies please phone 000 or alternatively present to your nearest hospital emergency department and ask for the mental health intake and assessment team. Mental health crisis help can also be obtained by contacting your local Community Assessment and Treatment Team on 07 47 999 480. Further 24 hour telephone counselling is available through Lifeline on 13 11 14.

What is the Medicare better access to mental health service?

Medicare rebates are now available for mental health conditions. In order to benefit from the service you must first have a referral from a general practitioner, psychiatrist or paediatrician.  You cannot claim under both Medicare and your private health cover.  For a full list of details and approved conditions of the Medicare service please view the APS Fact Sheet.

What is an Intern Psychologist?

An intern psychologist is a psychologist who has received 4 years university training at an approved university and is being supervised in their practice as a psychologist.  Psychologists need to be supervised in their practice for a minimum of 2 years full-time prior to being recognised as a fully registered psychologist.

What is a Psychologist?

Psychologists are individuals who have received a minimum of 4 years university training at an approved university in addition to a minimum of 2 years supervised practice.  Psychologist training involves dealing with human behaviour and responses from an individual perspective and aims to address problem behaviours through evidence based psychological techniques.

What is the difference between a Psychiatrist and Psychologist?

Psychiatrists are medical doctors who have received further training in psychiatric/psychological disorders.  While psychologists training is in regard to human behaviour.  Psychiatrist are able to provide prescriptions for psychiatric medications while psychologist are not.

What is a Social Worker?

Social workers are individuals who have received 4 years university training at an approved university, dealing with human behaviour and responses from a social perspective. All social workers employed at ONBUNDOCK are either accredited and/or members of the Australian Association of Social Workers and continue their training in evidence based counselling practice.

What is counselling?

Counselling is the generic term used for the process that focuses on enhancing the psychological well-being of the individual, couple or group. The process is achieved by the counsellor, be it psychologist or social worker, facilitating your personal growth, development, and self-understanding, which in turn empowers you to adopt more constructive life practices.  Counselling may be helpful in a number of ways. It can enable you to develop a clearer understanding of your concerns and help you acquire new skills to better manage personal and educational issues.

Counselling can offer a different perspective and help you think of creative solutions to problems. Sharing your thoughts and feelings with someone not personally involved in your life can be very beneficial.  All team members at ONBUNDOCK provide counselling.  Not all individuals who provide counselling are as qualified, trained, registered or have the experience as members of the ONBUNDOCK team, it would be wise to chose a counsellor who has adequate training and the necessary skills to help deal with your difficulties.

What is a Clinical Psychologist?

Clinical Psychologists are psychologists who in addition to their 4 year university degree in psychology have attended 2 or 3 years further specialisation in clinical psychology in recognised university courses and/or supervision.  Furthermore they are members of the Australian Psychological Society, College of Clinical Psychologists.  All psychologist’s team members of ONBUNDOCK continue to update their skills and attend further professional development post their university studies.

Our practice…

61 Bundock St Belgian Gardens, Townsville QLD 4810

Ph: (07) 4724 0861
Fax: (07) 4724 0872